|Event:||Australia in Sri Lanka 2016|
DateLine: 28th July 2016
Mumbai, July 26: On Monday, the father of the Australian Test captain Steve Smith was delighted to learn that his son received the mass for taking his team to number 1 position on ICC ranking.
Incidentally, the good news was broken to him by this reporter.
Despite being very busy in his business schedule, Peter Smith spared some time to air his views and cautioned his son and the team to be positive for the matches against Sri Lanka.
"As we are, I am sure as captain Steven would also be very proud to receive the ICC Test Championship Mace on behalf of the Australian team. They have performed very well over the last year and sit on top of the ICC rankings. Hope they can retain the mace for sometime more".
"However, three other teams (India, Pakistan and England) are also involved in Test series at present and could overtake Australia if they should falter against Sri Lanka".
The mace which was valued at stg£30,000 in 2001 and automatically passes from one team to another as results confirm a change of leadership in the ICC Test Championship table.
"Consequently it is an important series (for Australia) both from the point of view of rankings and for them to show they have improved as a team in Asian conditions".
Kandy (July 26-30), Galle (Aug. 4-8) and SSC Ground, Colombo are hosting the three Test matches.
The senior Smith is unlikely to be in Sri Lanka for these Tests.
(Article: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author only.
Copyright © 2016 Bipin Dani)
- England in Pakistan 2021/22
- England Women in Pakistan 2021/22
- Gibraltar in Malta 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021/22
- ICC Men's T20 World Cup Sub Regional Africa Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier Europe 2021/22
- ICC Women's T20 World Cup Americas Region Qualifier 2021/22
- ICC World Cup Super League 2020 to 2022
- ICC World Test Championship 2021 to 2023
- Sierra Leone in Nigeria 2021/22
- Valletta Cup 2021/22
View all Current Events CLICK HERE