Surrey v Scotland 7 & 8 July 1892
by Cricket Scotland

Ground:Kennington Oval, Kennington
Scorecard:Surrey v Scotland
Event:Scotland in England 1892

DateLine: 30th January 2013




Day 1:
Scotland fared so disastrously against Surrey in Edinburgh a short time ago that it was only in accordance with expectations for Surrey to leave the field with a big lead in the first day's play in this return match at Kennington Oval yesterday. Up to a certain point the game was fairly interesting, owing to M. Read and Lockwood failing to score, but on the whole the Scottish attack was so weak that runs came freely in the last hour.


There were five changes in the visiting side compared with that which appeared at Scotland, H. L. Fleming, D.R. Steele, A.R. Don Wauchope, H. Palmer, and G MacGregor standing down; while Surrey were without the aid of J. Shuter, Lohmann, and Wood.


Scotland took first batting, but after two hours and fifty minutes play were all dismissed for 114. Towards this total, T. Johnston, R.H. Johnston, and Brown were the chief contributors, the result of good cricket. Lockwood bowled effectively, taking four wickets for 17, while Richardson was credited with five wickets at a cost of 62.


Surrey did not make a too encouraging start on opening their initial essay, as Baldwin and M. Read both left with only 21 on the board. The last named was very unfortunate, as an awkward ball rose from the shoulder of his bat into third man's hand.


W.W. Read and Abel put on 61 for the third wicket when the amateur left, and this let in Lockwood, who returned a ball to the bowler before scoring. A splendid stand was effected on Henderson partnering Abel, each batsman playing with the greatest confidence the feeble attack of the Scots.


Despite numerous changes, 110 was added before the partnership came to a close, Abel then being badly run out after making 88 in superb style, hitting one 5, five 4's, two 3's, and fourteen 2's. With this stumps were drawn, Henderson being not out 51; Surrey being 69 on with five wickets to fall.


Day 2:
As was foreshadowed from the commencement of this match, Surrey achieved a great victory over Scotland at Kennington Oval yesterday by an innings and 146 runs.


At all points of the game the winners were unusually superior to their rivals. The attendance was again very fair, and the weather favourable.


On resuming yesterday morning, Henderson (not out 51) was joined by Key, and a formidable resistance was offered. The bowling was of a most moderate character, and the batsmen hit all over the field with the greatest of freedom. It was not until 172 had been added in two hours that a separation was effected, Henderson being caught at slip. He had made 133 in three hours without giving a chance, his best hits being fifteen 4's, four 3's, and twelve 2's.


Key's was the tenth wicket to fall, a smart catch at slip disposing of him after a stay of three hours and a half. He had batted with great freedom and vigour for his runs, hitting twenty two 4's, four 3's, and five 2's. The bowling throughout was very weak, and this detracts considerably from the merits of Henderson's and Key's innings. Robertson took five wickets for 83.


The innings lasted six hours and a half. Faced with an almost certain defeat, Scotland began their second innings at ten minutes past four, Balfour and Robertson facing deliveries of Sharpe and Lockwood.


Balfour played very good cricket, but lost the aid of Robertson at 19, and was himself had to a superb catch by W.W. Read at point after making 36. A fine ball from Lockwood disposed of T. Johnston, but R.H. Johnston gave a good deal of trouble, making some excellent strokes on the off side. He gave a chance when credited with 10, which Henderson failed to accept, while Mannes was twice missed off Lockwood.


Richardson superseded Lockwood at 118, and 5 runs later R.H. Johnston touched a ball into Lockwood's hands at third man. A splendid ball from Sharpe dismissed MacGregor, eight wickets down for 146.


Smith and Stevenson offered a strong resistance for the ninth wicket, which put on 50 in forty minutes before Smith had his wicket broken. The innings closed at twenty five past seven, leaving Surrey winners as stated.

(Article: Copyright © 2013 Cricket Scotland